Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Auto Talk

Alright folks, here's my rant for the day. So I watched a news clip today about what women want in vehicles. It was an overview of the New York Auto Show, and some of the new concept cars yet to come out. Accessories included: drink coolers in the glove box, adjustable foot pedals for the vertically challenged (ok, so for me that's pretty cool) and DVD players for each child's seat. These were just a few that they mentioned. After my moment of awe passed, admiring how far technology has come, I suddenly moved into very disturbed. One of the mother's comments in the clip about her children's individual DVD players in their minivan was, "the children rule our house, and when they're happy, we're happy." Since when do the children rule the house? And why do children need lack of conversation and video entertainment to achieve happiness? What happened to parenting the children, instead of children running the show? It seems our children today our being raised by TV, video games, and artificial baby sitters. I'm not saying that these things aren't okay in moderation. But I recall in my childhood days the encouragement of imagination. Playing the alphabet game, singing songs, or just plain old conversation while riding in the car. Some of the best life lessons I was taught as a child was riding in the car with my best friend Mindy. Her mom was always driving us around, and seemed to always have something new to teach us. Some of the best conversations we had were in their giant brown Suburban. I remember things like travel Bingo, checkers, slug bug, etc. Things we'd play as a family instead of each person in their own personal theater. I venture to wonder if most children even know how to play make believe anymore. I wouldn't be the person I am today without our childhood playhouse out in the backyard, or playing dress-up, pretending I was a Gypsy. We didn't need video games and DVD players. I know that my rant does not apply to everyone out there, so only wear the shoe if it fits. I'm just trying to figure out how children ever survived without wipe warmers, Wii play stations and bottled nursery water. The world of convenience that our society has created is absolutely mind boggling. I suppose next technology will come up with a remote to fast forward our children through their teen years, so we wont have to deal with it. (Hmmmmm, maybe I'm onto something!) I guess my point is, at no time have I ever heard "Raising a child is a breeze! Easiest thing I've ever done!" So why do we keep trying to find a way to make it so? Parenting is hard. But by not parenting, it will only become harder. So spend some time with your children! Whip out a board game, read a book together, or just plain sit down with a snack and chit chat! In this whirlwind of busy times, you will look back and cherish that car conversation far more than looking in the rear view mirror at little Janey/Johnny watching their own personal DVD.

TIP OF THE DAY: Talk to your children, they just might have something to say.

No comments: